A lactation consultant is a healthcare provider recognized as an expert in the fields of human lactation and breastfeeding. CCEDA is proud to have two service providers who are here to help those who need additional breastfeeding support.
Our two members have a strong knowledge base of: human lactation and breastfeeding; nutritional needs of infants and nursing women; common breastfeeding problems, including medical and physical conditions which may impede breastfeeding and best practice protocols to solve problems; community resources available to assist and provide treatment to nursing women; counseling techniques; educational methods appropriate for program participants; methods of assessing problems and developing care plans; and correct application and operation of breast pumps.
Benefits of a Lactation Consultant
A lactation consultant is an experienced professional that is specially trained to assist breastfeeding mothers. If you’re a new or experienced mother that is looking for support from a professionally trained person, then a Lactation Consultant is the way to go.
- She can answer all of your breastfeeding questions. Just consider her your real live breastfeeding guide
- She can show you proper positioning or “latch on” techniques that can eliminate any physical discomfort
- She can help you diagnose signs of a breast infection and offer recommendations
- She can provide general information about breastfeeding, as well as how to successfully wean baby when you’re ready
- She can help you recognize signs that your baby is “rooting” or ready to feed so that you can respond to baby’s hunger cues
- Your lactation consultant can help you increase your milk supply
In conclusion, a professional lactation consultant can be your key to successful breastfeeding. By hiring the right person and following her advice, you can receive the support you need and handle any breastfeeding issues with strength, knowledge and confidence.
The cost of the first home visit is $110.00
The cost of any subsequent visit is charged at an hourly rate of $75.00 per hour
We look forward to being a part of your parenting experience!